Friday, September 23, 2016

The Birthday gift in college - A walk in the memory lane story #2

Birthdays are special. Always. Everyone treats you well. You feel delighted and nice food awaits. For most. Most also means, "not all". Today I am humbled and thankful to have the privilege to be surrounded by lovely people, having the economic affordability to go out and celebrate my birthday and buy things I like. Above all I am thankful for being cared and reminded how much my friends and family love me. There are so many people who either have no love or have no means to celebrate, with each day struggling to not sleep either hungry or with tears. And sometimes both! My prayers and love for  each of them and my gratitude to all my friends and family and life for everything I have.
                                           Celebration awaits today. It wasn't always so, that I would celebrate my birthday or get cakes! growing up we did not celebrate birthdays at home. Never. When I was in school birthday would mean some allowance to spend for lunch and a sense that parents seems to comply by your reasonable demands. There was no difference in love. I was fortunate to grow up in a family abundant in love and respect. While in high school it would so happen that no one really even remembers your birthday. Even family! And we all kids were used to it. I would get jealous of some of my friends who would wear new clothes for their birthdays and arrange a small party at their places. I got invited to many and we would buy some gifts for the birthday boy (yes no girls, I studied in a boys only school). I used to imagine myself receiving those gifts and feel happy with my fantasies. One such gift I received was a geometry box when I was in middle school. Probably the only gift I ever got for a birthday in my entire school life.
                                    Soon I was in my college pursuing my engineering and birthdays were a totally different affair. People would arrange dinner parties and loud music. And sometimes beer. Most friends would join in the frenzy and it was fun. For my birthday I didn't really had the money for throwing a dinner party, so for me (and many like me) it would mean cooking chicken and having dinner with the very few lovely friends. I never had a lot of friends. Yes, acquaintance many! When I was a sophomore I was living in a rented room shared with a couple of friends. While living with them my birthday came. This was a special on as I got some presents from my friends for my birthday, for the first time in my life! And when I was asked what do I need, I was too naive then to have asked for an underwear and a book: The C programming Language. And the true friends they are, they got me an underwear and the book for my birthday! I was delighted. The book helped me really well. I rushed through it in next few weeks. I still have it with me. Alas! I couldn't preserve the underwear. Which of course served me well too. fast forward today I am going have a fancy dinner at a fancy place with my lovely wife, in the lovely weather of Seattle.

Truly
Abinash

No comments: